Ms. Kuhn is a Director in Jackson & Campbell, P.C.’s Business Law Practice Group, specializing in federal and state tax matters and litigation, and is the Chair of Jackson & Campbell’s Tax Law Practice Group. She has a strong and diverse background in tax planning, representation of taxpayers before the IRS, and general litigation. She has represented many taxpayers undergoing IRS audits, in addition to taxpayers in IRS Appeals and IRS Collections. In addition, Nancy advises clients with complex structures including joint ventures and domestic/international affiliated entities. She also assists clients in navigating and negotiating favorable settlements with the IRS in trust and estate matters, employment tax, nonprofits, and individual/corporate collection matters. Nancy frequently advises clients who are in the planning stages of philanthropy, ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code. Nancy also advises individuals and corporate entities with regard to foreign and domestic tax issues, along with related business issues including complex litigation in federal and state courts.
Nancy’s existing clients include a variety of nonprofit organizations, domestic and foreign high net-worth individuals, corporations, and domestic and foreign limited liability entities.
Prior to joining Jackson & Campbell, Nancy was Of Counsel with a D.C. law firm specializing in federal tax matters. Nancy also served with the IRS for ten years, primarily litigating before the United States Tax Court on behalf of the government. Nancy also served as an attorney-advisor at the United States Tax Court. Prior to law school, Nancy was a professional musician and Fulbright Scholar in Trondheim, Norway.
Nancy is active in the community and is a member of a variety of organizations. She sings with the Washington Chorus, the D.C. area’s premier adult chorus frequently performing at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Nancy is a member of the Murdock Inn of Court; Co-Chair of the 20 + Experts and the Women in Politics Committees of the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia, a long-distance runner, and directs a handbell choir.
- “Keep church and state separate“, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, February 5, 2017
- “Nonprofits and Campaign Activities”, WBA Raising the Bar“, September/October 2016
- “Large Charities Require Big Bucks”, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, June 7, 2015
- “Congress Should Reform Our Corporate Tax Structure“, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, September 26, 2014
- “Secretive No More, Nonprofits Must Disclose Donors” Tax Analysts August 27, 2012
- “Accountable Care Organizations: Tax Consequences to Tax Exempt Healthcare Organizations in Joint Ventures”, Tax Analysts Exempt Organization Tax Review, July 2011
- “Collection Issues? Taxpayers Take The Fast Track to Tax Court” Tax Analysts, August 30, 2010
- “What Will Health Care Legislation Hold for Nonprofit Hospitals?” Taxation of Exempts, Nov/Dec 2009
- “Private Foundations and the Protection of Assets” co-authored with Marcus S. Owens, Tax Analysts’ The Exempt Organization Tax Review, June 2009
- “Separating Exempt-Purpose and Non-Exempt Purpose Activities” Taxation of Exempts, Sept/Oct 2008