Nancy is a Director in Jackson & Campbell’s Business Law group, specializing in Federal and state tax matters and is the Chair of Jackson & Campbell’s Tax Group. She has a strong and diverse background in tax planning, representation of taxpayers before the IRS, and tax litigation. She has represented many taxpayers undergoing IRS audits, in addition to taxpayers in IRS Appeals and IRS Collections. In addition, Nancy advises clients with complex non-profit/for-profit structures including joint ventures, affiliated 501(c)(3)/501(c)(4)/527 entities, micro-finance nonprofit/for-profit affiliations, supporting organizations, and domestic/international affiliated nonprofit/for-profit entities. She also assists clients in navigating and negotiating favorable settlements in employment tax and individual collection matters. Nancy frequently advises clients who are in the planning stages of philanthropy, ensuring compliance with the Internal Revenue Code. She also has represented clients with unrelated business taxable income planning, compliance, and IRS examination issues. Nancy also advises individuals with regard to foreign and domestic tax issues.
Nancy’s existing clients include a variety of nonprofit organizations, individuals, public charities, for-profit corporations and limited liability companies.
Prior to joining Jackson & Campbell, Nancy was Of Counsel with a D.C. law firm specializing in Federal tax matters. Nancy also served with the Internal Revenue Service for ten years, primarily litigating before the United States Tax Court on behalf of the government. Nancy also served as an attorney-advisor at the United States Tax Court. Prior to law school, Nancy was a professional musician and Fulbright Scholar in Trondheim, Norway.
Nancy is active in the community serving on the Board of Directors of Asbury Communities, a Continuing Care Retirement Community, as well as serving as Chair of their Audit Committee. Nancy also sings with the Washington Chorus, the D.C. area’s premier adult chorus frequently performing at the Kennedy Center. Nancy is a member of the Murdoch Inn of Court, Co-Chair of the Tax and Business Forum of the Women’s Bar Association, and directs a Handbell Choir.
- “Keep church and state separate“, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, February 5, 2017
- “Nonprofits and Campaign Activities”, WBA Raising the Bar“, September/October 2016
- “Large Charities Require Big Bucks”, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, June 7, 2015
- “Congress Should Reform Our Corporate Tax Structure“, The Washington Post-Letters To The Editor, September 26, 2014
- “Secretive No More, Nonprofits Must Disclose Donors” Tax Analysts August 27, 2012
- “Accountable Care Organizations: Tax Consequences to Tax Exempt Healthcare Organizations in Joint Ventures”, Tax Analysts Exempt Organization Tax Review, July 2011
- “Collection Issues? Taxpayers Take The Fast Track to Tax Court” Tax Analysts, August 30, 2010
- “What Will Health Care Legislation Hold for Nonprofit Hospitals?” Taxation of Exempts, Nov/Dec 2009
- “Private Foundations and the Protection of Assets” co-authored with Marcus S. Owens, Tax Analysts’ The Exempt Organization Tax Review, June 2009
- “Separating Exempt-Purpose and Non-Exempt Purpose Activities” Taxation of Exempts, Sept/Oct 2008